Lancaster Grand

New Foyer


 New Foyer Update May 2017

The new design

Following the granting of planning permission in 2008 for the foyer but the refusal of planning permission for the overall Central Canal Corridor North scheme at the Planning Inquiry, we waited to see if Centros would be able to continue with their offer of support despite the reduced size of the project.  In the event, this proved not to be the case as their involvement ceased and so we decided to progress with our own design independently to produce a design that better fitted the theatre’s needs.  Over the past 18 months, various designs have been considered and we have now agreed an optimal design with 3D Reid, our selected architect (the one who produced the design for the original scheme in 2008).  As you can see from the computer generated image, our latest proposal is in a different league to the original “glass box”.  It is larger and has much improved fire safety features with its “protected” fire exit from the circle.  It also has an enclosed wheelchair lift from the ground floor to the lower circle entrance, a coffee bar and alcohol bar at street level, a box office moved to a location within the new foyer and a studio theatre on the second floor.  The design gives us much more flexibility in the use of the building and provides the opportunities to generate additional income with the aim of improving our long term viability.  

To date, we have raised just under £½ million towards the proposed new foyer helped by a generous donation in a legacy from a supporter of the Grand Theatre. This greatly increases our chances of securing the £1.5 million needed to build it.

 Together with 3D Reid, we met with City Planning and the Conservation Officers and after discussion of the various options, our architects have now gone away to produce the detailed design required for our application for planning consent scheduled for August this year. To assist in the fund raising process, we also are in the process of updating our web site to make it easier to donate as we begin our renewed major fund raising drive.  Assuming we are successful in raising the additional £1million, we have set the summer shut down of 2020 as our target date to build it.